Trainee Driver – FAQs
What are the key requirements?
- Aged over 20 years and 6 months at time of application
- Must not have failed any Train Driver assessments in the last 6 months
- Must not have failed any Train Driver assessments more than twice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Be able to meet the required medical standards including (but not limited to) eyesight, hearing, height and testing for drugs and alcohol
How long can I expect to wait for a decision on my application?
The role of a Trainee Driver is highly sought-after and because of this, we receive an exceptionally high number of applications. We have a lengthy shortlisting and assessment process which means it can take some time for us to get back to you. As soon as we have assessed your application, we will contact you by email immediately. The time for this varies from 2 weeks up to 4 months.
What happens during the recruitment process?
1. Initial application shortlisting
- Firstly we will check if you live within the specified time from the depot
- We will then check your previous train driver assessment history. If you have failed any assessment twice or within the last 6 months, you will not be eligible for shortlisting.
2. Assessments and Interview
We currently work to a four stage recruitment process:
You will undergo a variety of assessments based on the following competency areas:
- Reaction time
- Hand co-ordination
We will send out practice materials of these assessments in advance of you having to take the assessment. You are required to pass all assessments.
Stage 1 assessments
You will need to pass all 4 assessments in order to progress to Stage 2:
- Group Bourdon
- Driver Fault Finding Test
- Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment
- Bespoke Situational Judgement Test
Stage 2 assessments
You will need to pass 10 assessments in order to progress to Stage 3 some of which include:
- Trainability for Rules and Procedures Part 1 (TRP1)
- Trainability for Rules and Procedures Part 2 (TRP2)
- Bespoke Visual Search Exercise (VSE)
- Situational Judgement Exercise / Multi Modal Interview (SJE/MMI)
You will complete a personality assessment and be invited to attend an interview with the Line Manager. This is a competency based interview that explores your suitability for the role of a train driver.
You need to pass all these checks in order to be successful in obtaining the role:
- Undergo a train driver medical including ECG
- Criminal record check
- Employment reference verification
- Immigration checks